Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: The Audio Synchronizer in the Elmo GS-1200 Project

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Konton's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2000
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    It has been mentioned often that the Elmo GS-1200 has a internal synchronizer. However has anyone had any luck using it? I got the impression you still needed an external device to make the synchronizer work. I got this impression fro this page on The Film group website which since has been removed (I don't think they make the equipment anymore): http://members.aol.com/fmgp/sync15.htm
    Please let me know if you have any information about this.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member tom hardwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 1999
    Posts
    144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You certainly do need an extra bit of kit to make the synchroniser useable, and why it was marketed like this I don't know. Or perhaps I do - they wanted to sell you the Elmo synchronising cassette recorder.

    But if (like me) you want all your sound tracks on pulsed cassette tape then you need a small box sold by Cresta Electronics called the "GS Interface". I do believe it's still on sale though I don't have their address with me as I type. Mine cost me 50 UK pounds a good few years back amd has always worked fine.

    tom.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member #Pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2000
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just purchased an Elmo GS this weekend and will try out the synchronizer. Due to the included circuit diagrams of the projector, it has an digital TTL input for master pulses. Switched to "ESS", the Elmo will hook itself to the incoming pulsrate. So you can apply tape pulses from your field sound or a crystal oscillator to determin the projector?s framerate. In "rec" position, the projector outputs pulses, refering to it?s own speed alteration. So you can make backup tapes of your soundtracks in an easy way.
    As most tape recorders for AV have free heads, you need an amplifyer with TTL converter. A free head outputs pulses of 1 kHz / 0,5 mV, which first must be amplifyed to about 3,5...5 V, then rectifyed to TTL level pulses.
    Other double system sound devices like standard synchronizers, crystal generators and so on have normally an TTL output and can be connected directly to the Elmo input.

    So this sync input has a very universal design, shurly better that high freehead sensibility of 0,5 mV.
    Info for European users: Gebuhr in Germany has a special freehead-Elmo cable with in-built amplifyer for EUR 100.

    Pedro

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •